Well....this post will not catch you up on our family photos. It will catch you up on the lives of the Mundies through words....I know..boring right? :)
Our lives have been far from perfect the last few weeks. Although we thoroughly enjoyed our time with friends and family, our holiday was darkened with sickness. Right after Parker's 14 month appointment, Savannah brought home some sort of upper respiratory infection (from the doctor's office, I'm sure). She was sick, but it didn't really affect her, just snotty and such. She got better on Christmas Day-ish, and then we left for Knoxville the next day. Parker began the trip awfully cranky, but we just thought it was from the long drive. After a couple of days of crankiness, he started getting the same symptoms Savannah had the week before. By Tuesday morning of our trip, Parker was very snotty and both eyes were swollen shut. We decided to take him in to the doctor while in Knoxville. We were told he had an upper respiratory called adenovirus, which caused two ear infections and conjunctivitis. He was running a slight fever that day, but they gave him some antibiotics and sent us on our way. Well.....about three hours later, Parker's fever spiked to 103.8, which sent him into what is called a febrile seizure. These seizures happen due to a rapid increase or decrease in body temperature in some children ages 1-5ish. What we saw was a little child go from acting fairly normal (sick normal) to completely out of it. His eyes rolled back in his head and he was completely unresponsive to my voice. His lips were also turned a blue/gray color. So, because we didn't know what was going on (seizure didn't even cross our mind) we rushed him to the ER. It was the most terrifying experience. Luckily, even as he was getting into the car to go to the ER, he came out of the seizure a little bit and was looking around. By the time we got to the ER, he was crying and responding. His fever was still really high, but the doctors got it down with some meds and a fluid IV pump. After he stabilized, they transferred us to the Children's hospital for more observation. He responded to treatment well, and we finally made it home at 2 in the morning. So, at 10, we left from Knoxville to go to Atlanta. Parker seemed to be getting better, so we were pleased.
I took him into the doctor when we finally made it home here, just to check everything and make sure his ears were clear. The doc gave him a clear bill of health, however warned me that his ears looked "a little" red but was probably because he was screaming during the exam. That was Friday.
Last night, we were back at the urgent care clinic due to similar symptoms and a spike in fever. We did not have a seizure, but the boy is sick! The ear infection is either still there or has returned, snot flowing, and a cranky cranky boy.
I am starting to wonder if he is going to be prone to ear infections like his daddy, so this issue could become a way of life for the next few years. But not only that, since now he is a little more likely to have seizures, we have a bigger issue. Generally, ear infections come with sudden spike in fever, which in Parker's case, can cause a seizure. This could get interesting......
I just pray for it to all go away, but if we do have to deal with it for a while, I pray that God will give us the energy to handle it. I guess only time will tell.
On a lighter note, Christmas was still VERY fun and we loved spending time with everyone. No drama other than the sickness, so other than that, it was a fairly relaxing trip. We got some great gifts too, which included a new bike from my mom.
My plan is to start riding it A LOT in the near future (when it warms up a bit). Along with the aforementioned diet, my plan is to ride the bike and run using my new heart rate monitor my sweet hubby gave me!
As far as other news, Brent is going to be traveling A TON the next few months, so that will be interesting. Luckily he is only gone about three days at a time. I am very proud of him because he was chosen out of like 3983094830493 people to go on a special TDY (business trip). It is definitely an honor to be chosen....
Savannah is getting so smart. Not only does she know how to write all her letters and count to 40, she is now learning addition and subtraction and LOVES it!
We are still having a hard time choosing a church. We do not feel that any place is a good fit, which makes life hard. There are very few choices here, and I feel that we are going to have to settle somewhere and just make it work. Every time I feel like I am leaning toward one place, then I start to feel unhappy for one reason or another. I ask for prayers on this matter and that we will be able to figure something out soon. I hate the back and forth all the time.
Well, thanks to any of you who stuck with me for this whole post. Even if no one reads it, I love writing, so it is good therapy.
Happy blogging...pictures to come soon :)
Tuesday, January 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Sorry to hear about your little boy...hope he gets better soon! Sounds like you had a good Christmas otherwise. Good luck in your church decision. Hope all is well! :o)
Great "catch up" blog!! Glad you guys had a good Christmas, although the whole thing with Parker sounds incredibly scary for you as a parent. Definitely not an experience you would ever wish to have. I hope this will not be something he struggles with....Good luck on all of your running/biking goals for this year, and post about your progress!! =)
Glad to see a detailed update... :) Miss you!!
Post a Comment