Saturday, January 22, 2011

Can I get an Amen?

Well, I turned 29 Thursday. I don't know what I am supposed to think of that. Some people get really unhappy with age, however, for some reason, that depression hasn't taken over....yet ;) Are there things about getting older that I do not like? Of course. Do I wish little wrinkles weren't appearing, things weren't sagging, brain cells weren't frying, fat weren't lingering? Sure. However, I do know that with each day, I strive to grow in wisdom. I have made plenty of mistakes in my 29 years, and I love that the Lord has given me another day to redeem myself and bring Him glory.

I was reading another devotion this morning titled, "Rebuilt."

The writer talked about how she used to have so much self confidence as a teenager/young adult. However, with age and because of some of her circumstances, she had lost a lot of her confidence. It made me think of Savannah and how confident she is. She is about to be five. As far as she is concerned, she is a princess, everyone wants to be her friend, she is smart, etc. I am not looking forward to the day that she comes home asking why someone wouldn't play with her, or when she gets a bad grade on a test. And, Lord help me the first time a boy breaks up with her. So, even though we may gain wisdom, we also lose our innocence.

The writer (of Rebuilt) talked about how moves, failed friendships, finding her place in new churches, etc. had caused her to lose confidence in herself. She went on to say how some things have to be torn down before they can be rebuilt. She asked if it were God's plan to bring these struggles into her life, which she quickly answered "No!" However, God does use the low points in our lives to guide us to a better place.

2 Corinthians 3:4 says, "Such confidence as this is ours through Christ before God."

Instead of trying to get through life chanting "I can do it!," we should get getting through saying, "He can do it through me."

Philippians 4:13-" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

So, it may be hard to have confidence in ourselves, but remember our confidence should come from Christ.

So, as I reflect on the fact that I am getting older, I want to grow in wisdom and confidence (in Christ) so that when the reality of life catches up with me, I will be ready to take it on!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this!

Instead of trying to get through life chanting "I can do it!," we should get getting through saying, "He can do it through me."

Love you girl - Helen