HOWEVER, I believe that word is so much more meaningful than Webster gives it credit for.
To say, "I am blessed," is an understatement. Am I enjoying happiness? Sure! But is that it? No way! God has given me a family and a set of friends who have challenged me, cried with me, laughed with me, picked me up when I have fallen, danced with me when I am exuberant, and loved me unconditionally. God has even allowed tests to be placed in front of me to challenge and grow my faith in Him.
Tonight, I was flipping through old songs. My heart and mind were flooded with memories of how truly blessed I am. Each song that I flipped through brought me back to a moment, even a brief one, where God was glorified through our singing.
For example, one of my fondest memories was back in college, when a group of us went camping for a long weekend down in Manatee Springs, FL. After a long day of fun, we gathered around a campfire and just started singing. There is something so spiritual about singing out in the wilderness, underneath the stars, surrounded by the wild wonders of God's universe. We just sang. It was beautiful. I do love instruments, but there is nothing more beautiful than listening to raw talented voices praise Jesus without anything else but their voice. We sang and my heart was filled with joy.
I remembered the hundreds of times in middle and high school that my best friends and I would sit around singing together. It didn't matter what is was or where it was, we were singing. We were so blessed to get to be a part of so many retreats, camps, etc. where we were able to sing and be blessed in those moments. How blessed I am to have been surrounded by such great friends who love the Lord like I do. How blessed I am to continue those friendship even to this day. I am convinced that we have been able to continue those relationships because of our deep bond through Christ.
I remembered the first friend I had after moving far far away from those friends and family who cared for me, to a world of the unknown, insecurity, and adventure. I remembered all the moments that made us the friends we are today. Any time I hear "Shackles" or "My Redeemer," I remember that friend who loved me when I had no other friends or family around to do so.
There have definitely been some rocky roads along my path too: deaths, divorces, disappointments. However, God was still able to bless me in those moments through song. During some very hard parts in my life, I remember laying in bed at night just singing these words from one of my favorite songs, "Lord, give me peace. I'm feeling all alone. Calm my spirit. Still my mind. Fill my heart with peace." I would sing that over and over and over, and you know what? I was filled with peace. Even when I felt disconnected from everyone else, I always had God's hand to hold and carry me through. I remember funerals of friends and family members. I remember singing "It is well" at my grandfather's and cousin's funerals. I remember singing praise and worship songs like "Shout to the Lord" at a friend's funeral who was taken away from us way too early, but we were still able to rejoice because he was in Heaven! Even in those moments, God was able to comfort us with song.
My favorite memory of music blessing me was from our wedding rehearsal dinner. After all the festivities had ended, we all sat around and started singing. It was the MOST beautiful, tender, uplifting moment. How many people can say they spent an hour of their rehearsal dinner praising Jesus in such a tender moment like that? God was in that place. We were so fortunate to get it on video and, even to this day, I sob like a baby listening and remembering how perfect it was. I am so blessed to be married to a man who loves Jesus as much as I do. We sang a lot of songs that night, but, of course, the one I remember most was Glorify Thy Name. Some friends sang it again, the next day, at our wedding. "Father, we love you. We worship and adore you. Glorify thy name in all the Earth. Glorify thy name. Glorify thy name. Glorify thy name in all the Earth."
My precious Lord has blessed me so much more than just "enjoying happiness." He has been present for me during every perfect moment, every mediocre moment, and every terrible moment. Thank you God for filling my life with such beautiful music to remind me of how blessed I have been and continue to be!




2 comments:
loved reading this post, and remembering the sweet moments we all sang together. what a blessing it was, and still is to have such amazing friends. thanks for sharing. love you girl
Aww, miss you and love you lots my friend. I have our picture you gave me hanging next to my bed here in NY...it is still lonely here often, and I am always thankful I can call or message you whenever. We are so blessed.
Post a Comment