Roughly six weeks ago, we got news that we were eligible for a bonus that would allow us to get out of the military this summer (one year early), with a nice bonus check. All the documents gave us a sense that this was a fairly done deal. We were to pick a date we wanted to get out of the Air Force, and send in our application.
We chose Aug. 1, and moved on with our plans. Because the economy is in the tank and the real estate market is pretty awful, we decided that we better go ahead and put the house on the market, because we assumed it would take many many months for it to sell. We also thought that if the bonus was not approved, we could take it off the market and just stay put.
Well, the application to get out continued to filter through all the hands and be signed off on. It finally made it to the "head dudes" for final approval.
In the meantime, our house sold.......in TWO weeks....for a full price offer....
We thought, what a BLESSING it is to have this house sold and one thing off the check list. Of course, like most people, we are upside down on the mortgage, and had to take out a loan for the difference. This, too, didn't seem too bad because the bonus check was going to be within a few hundred dollars of what we owe on the house. We assumed that God had given us the perfect amount of money so that we would not be in financial despair.
We started packing, because we were to move out very very quickly because the buyer was ready for the house. We found a rental and spent many hours planning out the logistics of the summer and planning for a career conference and to start a job come August.
Everything was falling into place. We thought, this is just how God wanted this all to work out.
Then.....we get an email last night.......
The two bullets of the email that could change it all for us read:
*Mandatory separation Oct.1 (two months after we planned)
This isn't a HUGE deal. We would still get the money to pay off our debt, but would be fairly irritating to change plane tickets and rentals, etc since we thought it would be Aug.
*The secretary of the Air Force has concurred that we will now only have LIMITED approvals for the bonus. (Based on a list of reasons)
NONE of this was discussed with us the first go round. We may now get NO bonus and have to live here in Florida for another year. This is where it gets fairly unnerving. Not only would we have to be here longer, but now we would not get any money to help pay for this outrageous debt. And, the minimum payment on the loan is close to a mortgage payment itself. It is going to put us in a MAJOR bind financially if this is the route the Air Force takes.
I woke up this morning, fully intending on having a good freak out moment over it all. We have a Uhaul truck pulling into our driveway this Saturday to start loading up our house for crying out loud.....AND WE HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THE CONTENTS OF THE TRUCK WILL GO!!
The Air Force is supposed to let us know this week, what the decision might be. Our two options:
1. Leave Oct. 1
2. Leave May/June of 2012
My heart is kinda at war with itself, I think. My emotional side wants me to be a wreck over this, but Jesus is definitely in there keeping me strong and reminding me that this too is part of His plan. There is a reason for this, whether it be a blessing or a lesson learned, it will be revealed to us. How can I go all crazy when I know that God has His hand on us to guide us through? How can I feel out of control when we have been under His control all along? I trust in Jesus....He is my deliverer! And if He is for us, then who can ever stop us? How can Satan get me down when God is right there fighting for me?
I am in awe of how God has worked in my life these past seven years. Because, people, I can guarantee you that if this had happened back then, I would be a crazy person. I would have been inconsolable. I have always had a problem with wanting to have too much control over my life. If I make a plan, it should happen....but God has taught me these past seven years that I am not in control, He is.....and even when my plans have been completely thrown out the window, His were revealed and we were blessed beyond measure!
I can confidently say that no matter what happens, no matter the burden or circumstance, God will be there, holding us, guiding us, and getting us through.
Praise God! He is greater, He is stronger, He is higher than any other.....and there is NO stopping us because He is for us!!



4 comments:
Oh my, didn't know this was going on! You are so correct, He is in control! Love you girl and will be praying for all of your situation! Helen
Brent & Laura,
I am so sorry to hear that you are going through a difficult time. Life can be harsh. I know that your love for God and one another will carry you through. I hope you also know that you are loved. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
All my love
Kari
Knowing that you know that God is in control is very comforting to me. I pray you get the answer you are looking for and that God continues to bless your perfect little family.
Love MOM
Thanks for sharing, Laura! Your faith throughout all this is inspiring, and I appreciate your telling about it. God is in control! :)
Post a Comment