Thursday, September 29, 2011

Off We Go Into the Wild Blue Yonder....

Today is the first day of a new chapter in our life. My heart is so incredibly sad this morning as I hand over my military ID for the last time. Tears are literally streaming down my face as I type this post.

It is so symbolic. As I hand over my ID, it is as if I am handing over or closing a chapter that has been such an important part of my life. Unless you have lived it, I can't begin to describe the adventure that has been the past seven and a half years.

There have been hard parts.....all the TDY's, all the goodbyes...but I feel nothing but honor and pride to have stood beside my airman as he served his country.

I will never forget moments like watching Brent hand over flags to families of fallen airmen or watching our amazing Air Force band and drill team perform at the bottom of the capital steps. I will never forget the precious moments of having one baby born in Albuquerque and one in DC. I will never forget watching Savannah meet the men that the movie "Band of Brothers" was written about. I will never forget the amazing friends we have met along the way. I will never forget seeing my brother's face the first time he watched Brent be saluted at the gate. I will never forget the Albuquerque sunsets, walks along the Hudson river looking at the capital building, or seeing Savannah's face the first time she met Mickey Mouse. I will never forget "Captain Money," or the countless other memories we have made. But, most importantly, I will NEVER EVER forget how to pack a box! :)

Now, off to make new memories and see what the next chapter in our life has to offer!!

Cheers, Air Force! You will be greatly missed....

1 comment:

LMMO2 said...

All the things you have written and this one makes me so very sad. I am just holding back the tears. I love you Laura for being the person you are. You are so strong and so lovely and I am so proud to be your mom.