Sunday, August 31, 2008

AF Honor Guard 60th Anniversary Celebrations!/Bennett's Birthday

Well....we have had a VERY busy weekend celebrating the Honor Guard's 60th Anniversary. Our good friends, the Shirleys, came into town on Friday afternoon. John used to be in the Honor Guard and their family came back for the festivities. We went out to dinner Friday night, which was nice. Saturday, Savannah and I got up bright and early and drove out to Fairfax for sweet Bennett's birthday party. Bennett turned one on Wednesday, and we had a big celebration for him. He is a miracle and we had to get together and party on his behalf. Unfortunately, I do not have pictures from that party, but hope to very soon. Straight from the party, we drove back out to base and had a picnic with the Honor Guard. The drill team performed and, of course, was amazing! I got some really great pictures. All of the alum were impressed with their performance, so it was fun. Savannah was so excited to watch Brent perform. She kept yelling, "Go Daddy Go!" As soon as he was finished, she ran to him and gave him big hugs.

After the picnic, the girls, minus Savannah, went to have much needed pedicures. And then...the ball....I will admit, it was much more fun than I had anticipated. We got to sit with our friends and Brent and Whit kept us laughing. The guest speaker was General Newton. He is a three star General. He did a great job! What is funny is this....General Newton brought his daughter, so one of our Captains was her date. She sat at our table. When she got there, I was shocked to find out that their family goes to our church!! Who knew these people that sit in front of us at church was a three star General's family!! So..of course we talked about it and then we went up to meet him afterwards. That was a pretty neat experience. Also, what was so cute, was during the middle of his speech, he told her to stand up. Apparently they love the Honor Guard, and he asked her what she thought of the Honor Guard. She said, "I think they are intelligent and responsible (I think that is what she said)," and then he asked her what else she knew about the Honor Guard. She said she knew the Honor Guard creed. As she started saying it, all the guys in the Honor Guard stood up and started reciting it with her. IT WAS REALLY COOL! But what I thought was awesome was that General Newton included his daughter in his speech...how sweet is that!!

So...after a good night, we came home and crashed! Today is our anniversary, and we are going to pick out an HDTV. I had gotten one to surprise Brent, but it is a bit too big, so we are going to exchange it today. Tomorrow is our first UT football game, and we're so excited. We are having a party, so look for some pictures of that in the coming days...and hopefully some of Bennett's birthday party too. Enjoy the pictures below.



Brent getting ready to walk through the gauntlet.

Brent walking through the gauntlet!!!!

Hooray Drill Team!









Kisses for daddy!

I thought I would be artistic and get Savannah smiling while watching daddy perform behind her, but she wouldn't smile. This is the best I got!

Loving on daddy!

Who's shoes are shinier!!?!

Dressed for the ball...I felt like we were going to prom!



At the ball.

Eating dinner with the Walkers!

Not quite sure what Brent is doing here...maybe showing off his Captain bling!

No comments: