I have been reluctant to write a post about my concerns, but I feel as though I need to release my frustrations, and how better to do that than on my public blog. I want to preface by saying that I hope not to offend ANYONE as I write out my feelings. I appreciate input, but this is mostly for me to get my feelings out in writing.
So, ever since we have been living here in Melbourne, we have been trying out churches. We visited our third church today. As most of you know, we are Church of Christ. We have both been C of C our whole lives. For those of you who do not know what that means, I am sure my blog here will fill you in.
There are basically two C of C’s here, Melbourne C of C and Rockledge C of C. We have also visited and been attending more regularly the Church at Viera, which is supposed to be a community church however it has Baptist roots.
We are so very torn between the two denominations ( I know I know the C of C is “non denominational”, but please….). There are several things about the Baptist church that we flat out disagree with. However, should these be things preclude us from going there? We, the C of C believe that have to be baptized to go to Heaven. Saying that you are saved and asking God into your heart is not enough. However, even though the Church at Viera baptize, they do not believe that it is required. They also believe that once you are saved, you are saved for life. They only do communion once a quarter, which I am not sure what I think about that. They use instruments, which, frankly, I could care less about. I do not love it, because it is a bit loud, but do not believe there is anything wrong with it.
The great things about the Church at Viera are: LOTS of young families, passion in the sermons, lots of extracurricular such as women’s ministry, children’s ministry, missions, etc. We have already made some great friends there and have a military connection with several couples as well. Savannah loves her class and is learning SO much. But is she learning exactly what I want her to learn? It is hard to tell. From what I gather, she is learning everything I believe to be true. They are too young to be dealing with such issues as baptism and communion.
The great things about Rockledge C of C: the people are amazingly friendly, teach the truth we are used to, family oriented. I have also made a few new friends in my MOPS group that go to that church as well, so we even have several young families there.
The not so great things about Rockledge: no children’s worship during church, so Savannah is in church with us, which is a distraction. There are no real praise and worship songs, mostly just hymns. No babies the same age as Parker, so in the future, he does not have much potential to make friends.
I am clearly not the judge about who will go to Heaven, and just because I disagree with certain issues, does not mean I necessarily think there has to be a right versus a wrong way. God (the Bible) has A LOT to say about following Him and how we should live our lives. We have been praying so hard that we will find the right answer and God will show us the way to go. However, that has not happened quite yet. Every time I think He has told me something, then I get torn the other way. I know that no one can decide for us, but some days, I wish they could.
God is good and everything in my life is proof of that. Even in tough times, God has shown His light in my life. I know, because we pray and put our faith in Him to lead us, whatever choice we make will be the right one because it will teach us something, help us to teach others, and ultimately make us closer to Him. If we were going into this without His guidance, I would be even more scared or stressed, but I know He has a plan. I just wish I knew what is was.
If you are a member of one of these churches and get a hold of this blog, I want you to know that we appreciate the influences you have already had in our lives and want you to know that no matter where we choose, you are still going to be a part of our lives. For those of you who are reading this and I may have offended you by discussing your beliefs, know that I am not judging them, I just have a difference of opinion.
I am sure that I have left so much out and maybe I will edit as I go along. I know there are several people who read this blog whom I have never met, but the majority of you who read it have played a significant role in our lives and we love you for that.
Whew…..



3 comments:
Hang in there!
I know you guys will make the right decision. In the meantime, that's pretty awesome that you have two wonderful churches to choose between. I'm so glad you have a choice!
I just stumbled upon this tonight :) Funny because we have a similar struggle. Although our reasons are different (I'm not CofC, grew up Baptist, but been nondenom my adult life) I understand how frustrating it is to find a church home in a new place. Praying God will guide you...Misty
Post a Comment