Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Learning to Give

So, for the past two years, we have been teaching Savannah what it means to give during the Christmas season. We typically take some money alloted for her, and now Parker's, Christmas presents and designate a place to use it to help someone in need. The first year, we went to Target and bought a bunch of toys for children of airmen who could not afford Christmas gifts. She asked me, that year, why she couldn't have any of the toys and I was able to teach her the meaning of giving, and especially at Christmas. Last year, we did an angel tree. She was a little more into the giving spirit and was excited to help pick out gifts for the kids. This year, we are so fortunate to have a little girl named Rebeca, from Nicaragua, that we sponsor through Compassion International. She is Savannah's age, and Savannah is learning how we send money for her to get to go to school and have food and medical supplies. So, we decided to take the "Christmas contribution" money this year and buy part of a cow for Rebeca's family to have to eat during the holidays. Try explaining that one to a four year old!! However, I was able to tell her that when you have very little, food and clothing are especially wonderful gifts to have. It is really fun watching the wheels in her head start to spin as she takes it all in.

One thing I remember doing as a child was going into the Dollar Tree and picking out gifts for my family. Of course, I thought what I picked out was the most wonderful thing anyone could ever ask for, and was so excited to have gifts especially from me to give family on Christmas day. So, this year, I decided to take Savannah to the Dollar Tree and let her do the same. We wrote a list of all the family members we needed to get gifts for. I gave her complete freedom (get excited family!!!) to pick what she thought each one of them would like. It was SOOOO CUTE watching her go through the aisles looking for the perfect gifts. I also got a few good laughs out of some of the things she chose. Once we had all the presents picked out, we headed to the register and I let her pay for everything.

While we are standing in line, she sees these interesting Santa headbands and asks if she can have one. I explained to her that we weren't there to buy something for her and that she would not be able to get them. Lo and behold, the lady behind us in line asked if she could get it for Savannah. I am not sure if she felt sorry for us because I looked like rift raft, having had no shower and no makeup on or because we were buying the store out with gifts for the entire family, but I politely said we were here to learn about giving to others. The lady piped in and said, "Yes, I know. I heard you talking to her throughout the store and I would like to give this to her as a 'pay it forward'." What was I supposed to say? So, we left the store with the headband :)

Oh well, I still believe we accomplished the goal and learned a lot about giving and how fun it can be!!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I love your Dollar Tree experience! I did that with Will one year when he was very young and it was really fun to see what he picked out for everyone. I'm sure your trip there made a big impression on everyone...for the good! :) Thanks for sharing.