Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Gestational Diabetes Week 2

Don't worry, I do not intend on sending an update every week of my pregnancy, but I found out a little more about my condition today. Well, for those of you who do not know, I am checking my blood sugar four times a day. My after meal numbers have been outstanding!! Only three over out of 30 tests, so that is very good, especially since I went over my allowed amount of carbs all three times (cheated!). However, 6/10 fasting numbers were high, so......I have to start a low dose of a medication called glyburide to lower those morning numbers. I took this with Savannah, and it helped. Because I am now "medicated" I am doomed to be induced at 39 weeks. I say doomed only because I was induced with Savannah and it was not a good experience. Hopefully Parker will be much more ready to greet the world than she was, and I pray, and ask for your prayers, that he might decide to come a few days earlier than this. So....contrary to what I had said in a previous post, he will make is arrival no later than Oct. 26th ish. There are several things they will do to me/give me in the weeks before 39 weeks to speed the induction along. I will spare you the details....lets just say, some are not too pleasant. There is also risk with a diabetic mother to be induced even earlier than 39 weeks, but not likely for me. I will also start to be seen every two weeks from now until I get closer to delivering and then every week! So....16 weeks and counting!

So, that is that...

In other baby news, Parker is measuring right on target, unlike last week when the tech said he was about two weeks large. The dr. today said the tech was probably just wrong. Also, I have been stressing a little because the tech got a heart rate of only 128 last week, which is NORMAL but low normal (120-160 is normal range). So, I know...it is normal, but if you know me at all, if there is even a question, I will worry. I asked her to do it again, and she got a rate of 144, so definitely better. This week at home I have been getting readings in the 130s and today, the doctor got a reading in the 150s, so I feel better. I have heard boys heart rates can be a little lower than girls too.

In other news, Savannah has gone over a week now in cotton panties with NO, thats right, NO accidents!!! She is still, of course, in diapers at nap and bed time. Now, if we can only get rid of "night night," her pacifier, she will officially be a big girl.

I guess that is all for now.

2 comments:

Katherine said...

yuck! So sorry for the new news, but so glad that the little guy sounds / looks healthy!!

I have a little stash of evening primrose oil and red raspberry leaf tea that I can give you -- along with lots and lots of prayers for a healthy, non-induced arrival!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a good positive attitude about all this, and you will do great. Lots of prayers daily for you, Parker, Savannah, and Brent. We love you all! Helen