Monday, June 16, 2008

Inconsistency is the Only thing Consistent!

If I have learned anything about being a parent in the last two+ years, it would be that inconsistency is the only thing consistent in their little lives. First they nurse erratically, but then, you get them on a schedule, just to wake up the next day, and have to make an entire new schedule. Then, they are sleeping through the night, but wait....tomorrow, they will wake up at 5 am for no apparent reason. There are so many things with children that are inconsistent and I think it is God's way of teaching us patients and unconditional love.

So, why do I write this? You ask. Well, I just thought it was ironic that the same night I wrote about my perfect peeing daughter, we have a not so perfect sleeping experience. Savannah woke up three times in the middle of the night screaming for me to come get her! Once it was because she wanted a drink of apple juice, which I said no, because I knew it was a ploy to leave her room. So, we settled back down and she fell asleep. Then a couple hours later, here we go again. This time she said her stomach was hurting, but no signs of anything wrong. So...again, back in bed and settle down. Then...........a couple hours later, she woke up yet again to tell me she was ready to play. So, at this point, I was starting to get mad. I told her to get back in bed and stay there. There is no playing at 5am! So, I left again....she fell asleep again....

So, I should remind you from my previous post where I had stated that I was supposed to be at my glucose tolerance test right now, but instead, I am here at home looking like a zombie, having "slept in" instead of getting up at 6:30.

But wait, the story does not end here. Savannah woke up again at 7 and I told Brent he was going to have to deal with her because I needed some sleep. Of course, when he went in, she started screaming for me and he told her to get back in bed because she needed to go to sleep. Now, I know, 7 is not that early, but when she didn't even fall asleep initially until 9pm, then got up three more times for roughly 30 min., we knew 7 wasn't going to cut it.....

So...she screamed and he left the room, and she fell asleep again....

Now, here we are....awake....again...for good this time!

Savannah and I had a "coming to Jesus" meeting, and I told her she is NOT going to keep getting up in the middle of the night just to get out of her bed. If only she knew the severity of a "coming to Jesus" meeting....

So, like I said....inconsistency is the only thing consistent. Just when you think your child is the most perfect kid you have ever encountered (which she still is!!), they go and have an imperfect moment.

I hope you get as much kick out of this story as I hope to one day!!!

5 comments:

McCoy family said...

I loved your "coming to Jesus" comment, lol. I'm learning so much from you ladies about children and glad at this point that we are waiting! :)

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, it'll all work out in the wash! You just continue to be consistant with what you do, kids will never be consistant in what they do.

Love you all!
Helen

Allison said...

This story made me laugh:) Silly Savannah...she justs wants to have a lil fun!!

Katherine said...

Heh. I'm feeling your pain on this one! Nelson woke up at 6:30 this morning, and was READY for his day! Ben finally just put him back in his bed with some books and told him it was too early to get up - but that he could read if he didn't want to go back to sleep. That got us one more hour of sleep! :)

Anonymous said...

First of all, congrats on your baby boy! That is so exciting! Baby boys are precious!

Secondly, I really appreciated this post because I am going through the same thing with Zay right now. He's only 5.5 months, but he's waking up every 2-3 hours wanting to nurse after being a full night sleeper for 2+ months! So I totally agree with the only consistency in parenting being inconsistency! Thanks so much for sharing!